Trion Worlds' fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing gaming Rift will go free-to-play on June 12, the developer announced today.
The full game will be available to all players: access will be open to all zones, dungeons and other content and is guaranteed for all future updates to Rift. The switch will also give all players access to the expanded in-game store, where they can purchase boosts, cosmetic details, mounts and other items.
Trion Worlds will kick off the switch to free-to-play alongside the launch of the next major content update 2.3, Empyreal Assault. All current players will receive rewards at launch as Trion's way of commemorating the shift.
Optional subscription options featuring special "Patron" benefits, like increased mount speed and special experience bonuses, will still be available.
"We have been listening to feedback from our players and watching the continuously developing MMO community, and are now ready to launch Rift as a premium free-to-play experience," Rift creative director Bill Fisher said in a statement. "After taking our time and planning a careful transition; we are very excited to bring an enhanced game experience to everyone, without barriers.
"As a gamer's game, a super fun and fair experience is of the utmost importance to us," he added. "Players will have the opportunity to buy customizations and boosts to heighten their play experience; however the best gear in the game will always have to be earned through playing Rift."
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!