David Jaffe, best known for creating the Twisted Metal and God of War franchises, is joining indie developer Pixelbionic to work on its latest Kickstarter-funded title, vehicular combat game Autoduel, according to a press release.
Jaffe will join a team of veteran game developers — including the lead designer of Interstate ‘82 and designer on Interstate '76, Scott Kramarich — as a creative advisor for Autoduel. Also on Pixelbionic's board is Interstate '76 creator Zack Norman.
Autoduel is planned as an online multiplayer game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where players battle one another in decked out vehicles. Pixelbionic says players will be able to customize cars with upgrades ranging from drivetrain and suspension, to "a broad array of powerful weapons and protective armor." The game features team-based combat and more than 20 different vehicle choices that can be further customized through paint and decals.
Pixelbionic promises RPG-influenced persistence and progression in the game, which is currently being developed for Windows PC.
The Kickstarter campaign will be "released shortly," according to the press release, with additional development team members and the money they're asking for set to be revealed then.
A rep for Pixelbionic tells Polygon that Autoduel has no relation to the 1985 Origin Systems game of the same name, which was based on Steve Jackson Games' Car Wars.
"We are aware of the old Atari title, however there is no relation between that game and ours outside of the name 'Autoduel'. Pixelbionic acquired and currently owns the trademark, as we felt it was most descriptive of the title we wanted to make."
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- Russian and German armor clash in Combat Mission: Red Thunder
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- 'The Players' Score: A Videogame Music Documentary' is headed to Kickstarter with composers you'll recognize
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)