Electronic Arts isn't currently developing any games for the Wii U, EA spokesperson Jeff Brown told Kotaku.
EA published several games for Nintendo's console since its November 2012 launch, including FIFA 13, Madden NFL 13, Mass Effect 3: Special Edition and Need for Speed Most Wanted, but its studios have nothing in the pipeline right now.
"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently," Brown said, but he didn't rule out future Wii U development, according to Kotaku.
Earlier this month, EA announced that Madden NFL 25 would not make its way to the Wii U in 2013, while reiterating that the company has "a strong partnership with Nintendo." EA DICE's technical director Johan Andersson recently explained that the Frostbite engine, which powers games like those in the Battlefield franchise, doesn't support Wii U because the company's tests with Frostbite 2 provided "not too promising results." Its latest version, Frostbite 3, does not support the console.
On Jan. 30, the same day that Nintendo revealed lower-than-expected Wii U sales, then-EA CEO John Riccitiello said during an earnings call that he expected Wii U sales to track with Nintendo's "marquee titles."
"You never count Nintendo out," Riccitiello said.
Nintendo will broadcast a Nintendo Direct event tomorrow, May 17, to discuss the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games coming this summer. Before E3 next month, the company will hold a "Wii U Software Showcase" where it's expected to display some of the "marquee titles" Riccitiello referenced. The company has already promised to reveal new entries in the Mario Kart, Wii Party, Super Smash Bros. and 3D Mario series.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
- Sonic fan art expert rates the pornographic potential for Sonic Boom cast
- X-Men, Pacific Rim and virtual tornadoes: How Hollywood used Oculus Rift at Comic-Con
- How to lose a game of Stronghold Crusader 2
- This fan-made Super Smash Bros. trailer is amazing ... and a little creepy
- Rogue Legacy - Overview video
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.