Electronic Arts isn't currently developing any games for the Wii U, EA spokesperson Jeff Brown told Kotaku.
EA published several games for Nintendo's console since its November 2012 launch, including FIFA 13, Madden NFL 13, Mass Effect 3: Special Edition and Need for Speed Most Wanted, but its studios have nothing in the pipeline right now.
"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently," Brown said, but he didn't rule out future Wii U development, according to Kotaku.
Earlier this month, EA announced that Madden NFL 25 would not make its way to the Wii U in 2013, while reiterating that the company has "a strong partnership with Nintendo." EA DICE's technical director Johan Andersson recently explained that the Frostbite engine, which powers games like those in the Battlefield franchise, doesn't support Wii U because the company's tests with Frostbite 2 provided "not too promising results." Its latest version, Frostbite 3, does not support the console.
On Jan. 30, the same day that Nintendo revealed lower-than-expected Wii U sales, then-EA CEO John Riccitiello said during an earnings call that he expected Wii U sales to track with Nintendo's "marquee titles."
"You never count Nintendo out," Riccitiello said.
Nintendo will broadcast a Nintendo Direct event tomorrow, May 17, to discuss the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games coming this summer. Before E3 next month, the company will hold a "Wii U Software Showcase" where it's expected to display some of the "marquee titles" Riccitiello referenced. The company has already promised to reveal new entries in the Mario Kart, Wii Party, Super Smash Bros. and 3D Mario series.
- Tales from inside the Diversity Lounge: PAX's half-baked experiment
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- A eulogy for World of Darkness, written by (and for) a White Wolf fan
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft now available worldwide on iPad
- Trials Fusion review: back to the future
- Narrative fitness title Zombies, Run! 3 now available on iOS and Android
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- PAX East 2014: All the games, all the news, all the kilts
- Hands-on with Aaru's Awakening's 100 percent hand-drawn platforming
- What's it like attending versus being a journalist at PAX?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Contest Resumes: Infamous: Second Son - Win a statue of Delsin Rowe
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Where's Polygon? (Tue 15 Apr)
- The Secret Ending (spoilers)
- The best song in a video game?
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)