Sonic: Lost World, the next installment in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, will launch on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, Satoru Iwata announced today in a Nintendo Direct presentation.
Iwata announced that Nintendo has entered into a worldwide partnership with Sega regarding the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. Sonic: Lost World will be a brand new action adventure platforming game, and will launch exclusively on Nintendo's consoles.
Iwata said more information on Sonic: Lost World will be shared closer to E3.
"The one time rivalry between Mario and Sonic has grown into a friendship that has never been closer," Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime, said in a prepared statement. "These announcements in conjunction with SEGA demonstrate the commitment we have to bringing great games to the Wii U platform, and set the stage for our upcoming announcements at E3."
Nintendo officials also announced Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and that more titles originally launched for the Sega Game Gear will be made available through the Nintendo eShop.
Game Gear titles headed to the Virtual Console include:
- Crystal Warriors
- Defenders of Oasis
- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- G-LOC: Air Battles
- Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya
- Sonic Blast
- Sonic Drift 2
- Sonic Labyrinth
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Tails Adventure
- Vampire: Master of Darkness
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)