Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Collection, a compilation coming to PlayStation 3 this year, won't be released for Xbox 360 because of the large data size of Metal Gear Solid 4 is still an issue, according to franchise creator Hideo Kojima.
Speaking during the Mogren Radio show on his blog, Kojima explained the large collection is possible only on PlayStation 3 because the console uses Blu-ray technology. The Xbox 360 uses DVD. Metal Gear Solid 4 has not been previously released on the console, and has enough data to fill seven Xbox discs.
"I'm sorry to say an Xbox 360 version isn't being released, because an Xbox 360 version of [Metal Gear Solid 4] hasn't gone on sale," said Kojima. "To explain the situation, the amount of data in MGS4 is just too enormous."
"I want to put [The Legacy Collection] out [for Xbox 360]," he added. "But we won't be releasing it."
Kojima added that it could be possible to release the compilation for Microsoft's next-generation console.
"When it's the next [Xbox] console, maybe we can release [Metal Gear Solid 4 or The Legacy Collection]," added Kojima. "If we released a version on the Xbox 360 without MGS4, then it's not The Legacy Collection."
Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection will launch this June for PS3. The bundle includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition and two digital graphic novels by artist Ashley Wood.
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?