Disney has released a new behind-the-scenes video discussing the genesis and development of the free-form Toy Box in Disney Infinity.
The origins of the build-your-own-game Toy Box came from developing a potential tie-in game to Pixar's Toy Story 3, say developers at Avalanche Software. Rather than just making a game that followed the events of the story, they focused on the possibility of playing with the Toy Story characters as one would actual toys. Different characters had different abilities, and the developers found that children playtesting the game would learn how to use the abilities together in emergent, evolving gameplay.
The concept grew bigger from there, incorporating characters from across Disney's many franchises, until it became the Toy Box in Disney Infinity.
Disney Infinity releases this August for most major platforms.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- Help needed to find a reputable source for statistics for Indian gaming industry.
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!