"Clarification for the PC-related questions earlier — EA Sports Ignite will power FIFA 14 on Xbox One and [PlayStation 4], not PC," said Hodson, the U.K. community manager for EA's FIFA franchise. We reached out to FIFA 14 developer EA Canada, and a representative for the studio confirmed that fact.
EA Sports head Andrew Wilson announced the Ignite engine yesterday during Microsoft's Xbox One reveal event as a suite of technologies that will serve as the foundation for all of EA's next-generation sports titles. EA said in a press release afterward that FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, NBA Live 14 and EA Sports UFC will all be released on One and PS4 within the next year.
However, EA's press release and its Ignite website specifically call out "next-generation consoles" alone — PS4 and Xbox One — as the platforms supported by the engine; there's no mention of PC. For that matter, they don't mention Wii U, either. EA confirmed last week that it will not release a Wii U version of FIFA 14 because of the poor sales of FIFA 13 on Wii U.
This isn't altogether surprising, considering EA's near-complete lack of support for PC when it comes to sports games. FIFA is the only EA Sports title that's still released on PC, and until FIFA 11 in 2010, the PC version lagged behind the engine and feature set of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. Madden NFL 08 and NBA Live 08, which came out in 2007, and 2008's NHL 09, were the last entries in their respective franchises to be released on PC.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- What do these major changes to Twitch mean for eSports?
- Honey, Madden shrunk the linebacker in its greatest glitch of all time
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Payday 2's upcoming add-on pack is an homage to Battlefield
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart