"Clarification for the PC-related questions earlier — EA Sports Ignite will power FIFA 14 on Xbox One and [PlayStation 4], not PC," said Hodson, the U.K. community manager for EA's FIFA franchise. We reached out to FIFA 14 developer EA Canada, and a representative for the studio confirmed that fact.
EA Sports head Andrew Wilson announced the Ignite engine yesterday during Microsoft's Xbox One reveal event as a suite of technologies that will serve as the foundation for all of EA's next-generation sports titles. EA said in a press release afterward that FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, NBA Live 14 and EA Sports UFC will all be released on One and PS4 within the next year.
However, EA's press release and its Ignite website specifically call out "next-generation consoles" alone — PS4 and One — as the platforms supported by the engine; there's no mention of PC. For that matter, they don't mention Wii U, either. EA confirmed last week that it will not release a Wii U version of FIFA 14 because of the poor sales of FIFA 13 on Wii U.
This isn't altogether surprising, considering EA's near-complete lack of support for PC when it comes to sports games. FIFA is the only EA Sports title that's still released on PC, and until FIFA 11 in 2010, the PC version lagged behind the engine and feature set of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. Madden NFL 08 and NBA Live 08, which came out in 2007, and 2008's NHL 09, were the last entries in their respective franchises to be released on PC.
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Assassin's Creed Pirates receives second major update
- When a successful game is a failure
- Six Pacmen is a musical rendition of a classic game
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Telltale describes the difficulty of starting over in The Walking Dead Season Two
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Goat Simulator's Steam support is the 'most defining and important part'
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- Game development
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Thief: Sneak sneak, steal steal, curse curse
- XBOne Classifieds
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- What Game Currently Keeps You Coming Back For More?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux