"Clarification for the PC-related questions earlier — EA Sports Ignite will power FIFA 14 on Xbox One and [PlayStation 4], not PC," said Hodson, the U.K. community manager for EA's FIFA franchise. We reached out to FIFA 14 developer EA Canada, and a representative for the studio confirmed that fact.
EA Sports head Andrew Wilson announced the Ignite engine yesterday during Microsoft's Xbox One reveal event as a suite of technologies that will serve as the foundation for all of EA's next-generation sports titles. EA said in a press release afterward that FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, NBA Live 14 and EA Sports UFC will all be released on One and PS4 within the next year.
However, EA's press release and its Ignite website specifically call out "next-generation consoles" alone — PS4 and Xbox One — as the platforms supported by the engine; there's no mention of PC. For that matter, they don't mention Wii U, either. EA confirmed last week that it will not release a Wii U version of FIFA 14 because of the poor sales of FIFA 13 on Wii U.
This isn't altogether surprising, considering EA's near-complete lack of support for PC when it comes to sports games. FIFA is the only EA Sports title that's still released on PC, and until FIFA 11 in 2010, the PC version lagged behind the engine and feature set of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. Madden NFL 08 and NBA Live 08, which came out in 2007, and 2008's NHL 09, were the last entries in their respective franchises to be released on PC.
- The fixer: Why Rod Fergusson returned to Gears of War
- Polygon Plays: Deus Ex - Episode one
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is the chili cheese fry of Marvel's movie collection
- Players want more options than murder, and GTA 5 proves it
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Zelda speedrunner explains how it's possible to beat Ocarina of Time in 18 minutes
- OneeChanbara is still kicking, bringing NSFW zombie-slashing action to PS4 this fall
- ABC just launched history's biggest, most well-funded LARP
- Hollywood taking a second stab at a Dead Island movie
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell (update)
More from Polygon
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Share Button Use? Can you post to another service other than FaceBook?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?