Microsoft's new agreement with the National Football League for interactive NFL experiences, which includes the NFL on Xbox app for Xbox One, is worth $400 million over the next five years for the NFL, reports the Associated Press.
Neither the NFL nor Microsoft disclosed terms of the deal yesterday; the AP cited an anonymous source familiar with the deal between the companies. Reached for comment, a Microsoft representative told Polygon, "We do not comment on rumors and speculation and we do not disclose the financial terms of our partnerships."
Microsoft announced an Xbox One app yesterday during its Xbox One reveal event. The app is designed to enhance the NFL viewing experience for fans by integrating Microsoft technology built into the Xbox One such as Skype and SmartGlass, with potential applications including fantasy football statistics being displayed alongside a live NFL game and being updated in real time as the game progresses. The app was introduced in a video featuring Don Mattrick, president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business (above left), and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell (right).
The partnership between the league and Microsoft goes much deeper than that, according to the companies. Under the agreement, Microsoft products such as the Surface tablet could become standard-issue technology for NFL teams to use on the sideline during games. For instance, coaches could call plays from the device while players could review game film on it.
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- With Han Solo, Leia and Chewie, Star Wars Commander is bringing back the force
- Microsoft may be offering 24-hour demos of Xbox One games to Gold subscribers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Games with great Sound Design
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us