Microsoft's new agreement with the National Football League for interactive NFL experiences, which includes the NFL on Xbox app for Xbox One, is worth $400 million over the next five years for the NFL, reports the Associated Press.
Neither the NFL nor Microsoft disclosed terms of the deal yesterday; the AP cited an anonymous source familiar with the deal between the companies. Reached for comment, a Microsoft representative told Polygon, "We do not comment on rumors and speculation and we do not disclose the financial terms of our partnerships."
Microsoft announced an Xbox One app yesterday during its Xbox One reveal event. The app is designed to enhance the NFL viewing experience for fans by integrating Microsoft technology built into the Xbox One such as Skype and SmartGlass, with potential applications including fantasy football statistics being displayed alongside a live NFL game and being updated in real time as the game progresses. The app was introduced in a video featuring Don Mattrick, president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business (above left), and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell (right).
The partnership between the league and Microsoft goes much deeper than that, according to the companies. Under the agreement, Microsoft products such as the Surface tablet could become standard-issue technology for NFL teams to use on the sideline during games. For instance, coaches could call plays from the device while players could review game film on it.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom announced, has kind of a Zelda vibe
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders