Xbox One includes two new buttons labeled "Menu" and "View" that replace the Xbox 360's Start and Back buttons and add new functionality, IGN reports.
Speaking with the publication, a Microsoft representative said that the Menu button, located on the right, pulls up context-specific menus. These menus are used by game and app developers to "enhance the user experience."
"The Menu button could be used in scenarios such as bringing up in-game menus, showing video playback options and accessing commands on the console's user interface," Microsoft told IGN.
The View button's functionality can change depending on how developers utilize it. The button is meant to provide more information on apps or gameplay.
"Possible uses of the View button include viewing a map during a role-playing game, displaying a leaderboard in a first-person shooter and enhancing the navigation of the console's user interface," Microsoft said.
Xbox One was unveiled during Microsoft's event last week. The new system will not support Xbox 360 controllers. You can check out our hands-on experience with the controller here, or read all our current coverage through our StoryStream.
- Halo 3: ODST remaster coming to The Master Chief Collection for free as apology to players
- Naturally, someone built Notch’s Beverly Hills mansion in Minecraft
- 2014 in review: Polygon's best reports cover war, flood, The Hobbit and Satan's schemings
- Claim a free game and give up the right to sue over Assassin's Creed Unity
- Someone made the Star Wars trailer in GTA 5, and they actually pulled it off
- Weekend at Polygon's: The weekend before Christmas (20-21 Dec.)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Toradora Christmas Club
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Wonderful Korratime (Friday, Dec. 19)
- The Ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition (!Spoilers obviously!)
- The Besties need your help in picking the best game of the year!
- Some PSP/ PS1 games listed as compatible for PStv in USA but not in EU/AUS... why? :(