Peter Molyneux's social experiment, Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? came to a close this afternoon at the hands of an unknown player.
Molyneux announced the game's end via his Twitter, confirming that the winner was located in the UK. The player has not yet been identified.
Just before Curiosity's finish, Molyneux tweeted that a record number of people had joined the game for its final layers.
"I [want] to thank everyone, even the haters for taking part in Curiosity," Molyneux tweeted. "It's been a magical journey, thank you one and all."
Curiosity launched as a free title for iOS and Android devices in November 2012. The game was both a massive team effort and competition; players tapped away at a mammoth cube in an effort to be the first to reach the center. Its contents are a well-kept secret that only the winner can reveal.
During a recent interview with Polygon, Molyneux said that after six months of tapping users, "enough's enough, for crying out loud." The studio head added that the experiment accomplished everything he'd hoped and more.
Update: The winner has been announced as Bryan Henderson from Edinburgh. According to Molyneux, Henderson will be given the role of God in 22Can's current project, Godus. He will also "share in the success" of the game; every time people spend money on Godus, Henderson will receive a portion of its profits.
"I said — and I'm known for these things — I said there's something amazing inside. Something life changing," Molyneux said. "... We could give you a piece of advice ... we could say, here's a wad of cash. But it needs to be more meaningful. It needs to say more about the effort."
"It is the ability to be a digital god," Molyneux continued.
"You will have fame," Molyneux said. "You will have fortune. And you will have the power to introduce morals into a game."
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine