Peter Molyneux's social experiment, Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? came to a close this afternoon at the hands of an unknown player.
Molyneux announced the game's end via his Twitter, confirming that the winner was located in the UK. The player has not yet been identified.
Just before Curiosity's finish, Molyneux tweeted that a record number of people had joined the game for its final layers.
"I [want] to thank everyone, even the haters for taking part in Curiosity," Molyneux tweeted. "It's been a magical journey, thank you one and all."
Curiosity launched as a free title for iOS and Android devices in November 2012. The game was both a massive team effort and competition; players tapped away at a mammoth cube in an effort to be the first to reach the center. Its contents are a well-kept secret that only the winner can reveal.
During a recent interview with Polygon, Molyneux said that after six months of tapping users, "enough's enough, for crying out loud." The studio head added that the experiment accomplished everything he'd hoped and more.
Update: The winner has been announced as Bryan Henderson from Edinburgh. According to Molyneux, Henderson will be given the role of God in 22Can's current project, Godus. He will also "share in the success" of the game; every time people spend money on Godus, Henderson will receive a portion of its profits.
"I said — and I'm known for these things — I said there's something amazing inside. Something life changing," Molyneux said. "... We could give you a piece of advice ... we could say, here's a wad of cash. But it needs to be more meaningful. It needs to say more about the effort."
"It is the ability to be a digital god," Molyneux continued.
"You will have fame," Molyneux said. "You will have fortune. And you will have the power to introduce morals into a game."
- Dark Souls 2 review: not the end
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Back to work: The story of the Hello Games flood
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Flappy Bird could return, creator says
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Arma 3's final campaign episode, Win, coming March 20
- Titanfall - Overview video
- The Last Tinker: City of Colors coming to consoles and PC this summer
- PlayStation Home getting Trophy support March 12
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US