Peter Molyneux's social experiment, Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? came to a close this afternoon at the hands of an unknown player.
Molyneux announced the game's end via his Twitter, confirming that the winner was located in the UK. The player has not yet been identified.
Just before Curiosity's finish, Molyneux tweeted that a record number of people had joined the game for its final layers.
"I [want] to thank everyone, even the haters for taking part in Curiosity," Molyneux tweeted. "It's been a magical journey, thank you one and all."
Curiosity launched as a free title for iOS and Android devices in November 2012. The game was both a massive team effort and competition; players tapped away at a mammoth cube in an effort to be the first to reach the center. Its contents are a well-kept secret that only the winner can reveal.
During a recent interview with Polygon, Molyneux said that after six months of tapping users, "enough's enough, for crying out loud." The studio head added that the experiment accomplished everything he'd hoped and more.
Update: The winner has been announced as Bryan Henderson from Edinburgh. According to Molyneux, Henderson will be given the role of God in 22Can's current project, Godus. He will also "share in the success" of the game; every time people spend money on Godus, Henderson will receive a portion of its profits.
"I said — and I'm known for these things — I said there's something amazing inside. Something life changing," Molyneux said. "... We could give you a piece of advice ... we could say, here's a wad of cash. But it needs to be more meaningful. It needs to say more about the effort."
"It is the ability to be a digital god," Molyneux continued.
"You will have fame," Molyneux said. "You will have fortune. And you will have the power to introduce morals into a game."
- I caught every Pokémon and it only took most of my life
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Tales of Xillia 2 review: time sink
- Swing Copters, clones and the dismal failure of the 'open' app store
- Solving Silent Hills' playable trailer
- Sony's secretive division is hoping to find the next PlayStation or Walkman
- Demos are dead, long live demos
- Ancient Space brings galactic RTS action back to PC
- Legend of Grimrock 2 now in beta, iOS port of first game shown
- Watch 20 minutes of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain gameplay from Gamescom
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- 90's Cartoon Network vs. 90's Nickelodeon.
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Games with great Sound Design
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?