Edinburgh, Scotland resident Bryan Henderson started playing Peter Molyneux's social media experiment, Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube?, an hour before its end. Now, the 18-year-old gets to be a digital god.
Curiosity, a free mobile game from 22Cans, challenged players to slowly tap away layers on a gigantic cube. The goal was for one person to break through, revealing a secret prize that Molyneux promised would be "life changing." Five million downloads and six months later, Henderson scratched through the final layer.
"It took a really long time for it to sink in, the fact that I had won, along with finding out about Godus and my involvement in it," Henderson told Polygon. "Seeing my name across the Internet has blown my mind, and I think it's still sinking in."
In a previously recorded video, Molyneux explained that the prize winner would gain the ability to become a digital god. Specifically, the deity in 22Can's upcoming title, Godus.
"You will have fame," Molyneux said. "You will have fortune. And you will have the power to introduce morals into a game."
As the game's winner, Henderson will be able to "intrinsically decide on the rule Godus is played on," Molyneux said, and will share the game's success. Each time people spend money on the title, an undisclosed portion will go to Henderson.
"I think I'll be a pretty nice god, but getting to mess with people sounds like it could be fun."
Henderson had a choice to share the long-awaited secret or keep it to himself — an option that never crossed his mind.
"I didn't even think about keeping it for a secret," Henderson said. "I guess I just didn't want everyone to be disappointed."
He's already told a few friends and family, who were "way more excited" about the prize than he was.
"My mum has taken the duty of telling the rest of the family," Henderson said.
As for whether or not Molyneux's prize is life changing, he doesn't disagree.
"I couldn't be happier or more excited," Henderson said. "I think I'll be a pretty nice god, but getting to mess with people sounds like it could be fun."
- I caught every Pokémon and it only took most of my life
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Tales of Xillia 2 review: time sink
- Swing Copters, clones and the dismal failure of the 'open' app store
- Solving Silent Hills' playable trailer
- Sony's secretive division is hoping to find the next PlayStation or Walkman
- Demos are dead, long live demos
- Ancient Space brings galactic RTS action back to PC
- Legend of Grimrock 2 now in beta, iOS port of first game shown
- Watch 20 minutes of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain gameplay from Gamescom
- 90's Cartoon Network vs. 90's Nickelodeon.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?