An obscure forum member The_Kusabi, 13 years after the game's release in 2000.9 side quest was rediscovered by Game FAQs
The_Kusabi discovered the side quest via the game's companion book, Final Fantasy 9 Ultimania, which was published in 2004. Shortly after the post, Game FAQ user MysterPixel confirmed the existence of the side quest. YouTube user GarlandTheGreat then recorded a play through of the quest, as seen in the above video, and reported his findings.
The secret quest, which is on disc four of the game, involves 17 events to move the quest forward, according to GarlandTheGreat. After each event players must head back to Tantalus hideout to speak with members of Zenero's and Benero's family, each visit features a new member of the family. Gamers then obtain a Protect Ring at the conclusion the the quest.
9 first launched on July 7, 2000, in Japan and Nov. 14, 2000, in North America for the PlayStation.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Help needed to find a reputable source for statistics for Indian gaming industry.
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- XBOne Classifieds
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy