Armikrog's story centers on the adventures of space explorer, Tommynaut, and his dog-like alien companion, Beak-Beak. The intrepid adventurers crash-land on a planet and find themselves locked in a fortress known as the Armikrog.
Creator Doug TenNapel (Earthworm Jim, Skullmonkeys) announced in March that he was joining up with The Neverhood and Earthworm Jim animators Ed Schofield and Mike Dietz to create the spiritual successor. Schofield and Dietz are also the founders of Pencil Test Studios.
At the time, he had also revealed that Terry Scott Taylor, composer of The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys, will do the soundtrack.
Armikrog will feature the voices of Rob Paulsen (Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs), Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite, Blades of Glory), Michael J. Nelson (Rifftrax, Mystery Science Theatre 3000), Veronica Belmont (Revision 3) and Scott Kurtz (Player Vs. Player).
Armikrog will be released DRM-free forPC, and and will also see distribution via "and/or other comparable download venues." The team are aiming to complete the game within a year. The game will be developed using the Unity engine along with "animation, modelling, sculpting, set building and clay & puppet fabrication methods" used in their past games.
Pencil Test Studios and TenNapel have launched an Armikrog Kickstarter campaign with an initial funding goal of $900,000. At the time of writing, the campaign has received more than $100,000 in pledges. Be sure to watch the Kickstarter pitch video below.
- Towerfall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Report: R.B.I Baseball 14 to launch on April 10
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Hack into Nedry's Jurassic Park security system
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?