The prize for reaching the end of 22 Cans' Curiosity experiment is only temporary, developer Peter Molyneux told Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
Last week it was revealed the winner of the cube-clicking game would reign over Molyneyx's upcoming title, Godus, as the game's titular god; however, the developer explains that the god role will be handed off to someone else later down the line.
"What [winner Bryan Henderson] has won is a grace period where he can be god of gods for a certain amount of time. It won't be less than a few months. It might not be more than a year," Molyneux said.
"And then we'll unveil the ability to usurp the god of gods and replace him with someone else. That someone else will then take on all of Bryan's powers."
According to the 22 Cans founder, it "didn't seem right" for one person to take on the role of a permanent god.
"He'll probably be god of gods for an amount of time approaching a year. That'll be a year from release, by the way. It needs to be enough time to make it meaningful for him in every sense of the word," he added.
Additionally, there will be limits to the power of the god, while Bryan can still negotiate with the developers for certain events to take place.
"What they aren't going to be is carte blanche uncontrolled, unrefined decisions that would throw the balance of the game out entirely. Bryan can absolutely request something to happen, and we'll make our best effort to do it. But he can't decide everybody in Canada will explode or anything like that. There are limits to his power," said Molyneux.
Godus is expected in September on Android, iOS, Mac and PC, with an early PC build going out to Kickstarter backers this week.
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- The Titanfall for Vita that wasn't and the decision that changed its name
- PS3 bundled with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $269 at Walmart
- Meet the gay soldier you didn't know was in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?
- Controller Design Competition
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward