The creators of survivor horror title Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem will debut the game's spiritual successor, Shadow of the Eternals, this coming Monday, according to a teaser trailer on IGN.
The trailer, posted above, notes the title is in development with studio Precursor Games. A crowdfunding campaign for the title will also launch the same day as the gameplay reveal, May 6. Check out the video for a first look at Shadow of the Eternals.
Eternal Darkness, developed by Silicon Knights and published by Nintendo, launched in 2002 for the Nintendo GameCube. The game, rated M for mature by the ESRB, takes place in a Rhode Island mansion, the home of protagonist Alexandra's grandfather. While exploring the building and investigating her grandfather's death, she finds a book bound in human skin and bone that lets her experience the lives of people who lived in the past. She must search the mansions for the book's remaining chapters and help thwart a plot to summon an ancient creature that will devour all living things on earth, body and soul.
According to a tweet from IGN's Rich George, Silicon Knights' president Denis Dyack is involved in development for Shadow of the Eternals.
Last year a legal feud between Silicon Knights and Epic Games came to a head in which Silicon Knights accused Epic Games of using money earned selling Unreal Engine 3 game engine licensing to fund the development of Gears of War, rather than use the funds to improve the game engine.
The studio said they encountered problems with the engine while developing Too Human, which drove up development costs on the game. Silicon Knights lost the case and was reportedly instructed to destroy all unsold copies of games developed using Unreal, including Too Human and X-Men: Destiny. In January, Too Human and all related content was pulled from the Xbox Live Marketplace.
Polygon has reached out to Dyack for comment, and will share more information as we have it.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II