Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth may be the first Wii U disc to be ripped and distributed online, according to a group called Venom.
The group claims to have cracked the Wii U's encryption, ripped the disc and posted it online. According to the NFO file that accompanies the 23 GB ISO image for the European version of Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, it represents the "first full WiiU [sic] disc image."
CVG recently reported that an unidentified group claimed to have "completely reversed the Wii U drive authentication, disk encryption, file system, and everything else needed for this next generation key." In response, a representative from Nintendo told CVG that the company "continuously monitors all threats to its products' security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy."
We've reached out to Nintendo for comment and will update this story as more information becomes available.
Update: Nintendo provided the same statement to Polygon that CVG received this week, saying that the company is aware of the claims and will take the legal steps it deems necessary to prevent piracy.
More from Polygon
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27