Though it will have other uses yet to be revealed, the PlayStation 4 is "first and foremost a video game console," Sony president and CEO Kazuo Hirai said today during the D: All Things Digital conference.
In a briefing with reporters following his onstage appearance, Hirai said that the "most important thing" that the company needs to do in this initial phase is ensure that the next-gen console appeals to gamers, The Verge reports.
"We take a look at this first and foremost as a game console," Hirai said. "We don't want to end there. That's an area we will obviously reveal and talk about in the coming months."
Sony unveiled the PS4 in February during an event that focused on the console's PC-like hardware architecture and games like Capcom's Deep Down and indie developer Jonathan Blow's The Witness. In contrast, Microsoft's recent Xbox One event put a comparatively greater emphasis on entertainment services like TV integration and the upcoming live-action Halo series. Microsoft has promised a gaming-focused E3 press conference next month.
In an interview with CNBC today, Sony CEO Hirai also hinted at other unannounced services coming to the PS4.
"I think that with any PlayStation platform launch — and certainly with PS4 — we want to make sure we have the best and compelling games that we bring to our consumers and fans through both our first-party studio products as well as from our third-party partners," he said.
"That obviously, in this generation of software and hardware, is going to include a lot of social aspects [and] a lot of network aspects as well.
"But I think we've been synonymous with bringing compelling gaming experiences to customers around the world and PS4 is no exception."
We may learn more about those "social aspects" next month at Sony's PlayStation press conference at E3, which is scheduled for June 10, 2013 at 3 p.m. ET.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- How to unlock Thanatophobia, the almost impossible trophy, in Rogue Legacy
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- Scientifically Accurate Sonic is everything you never wanted to know about hedgehog poop
- 30-day P90X program comes to Xbox Fitness for $59.99
- Here's a first look at Agent 47 in the upcoming movie 'Hitman: Agent 47'
- The cheesy '60s Batman and Robin are in Lego Batman 3 (and so is Bat-Cow)
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward