Though it will have other uses yet to be revealed, the PlayStation 4 is "first and foremost a video game console," Sony president and CEO Kazuo Hirai said today during the D: All Things Digital conference.
In a briefing with reporters following his onstage appearance, Hirai said that the "most important thing" that the company needs to do in this initial phase is ensure that the next-gen console appeals to gamers, The Verge reports.
"We take a look at this first and foremost as a game console," Hirai said. "We don't want to end there. That's an area we will obviously reveal and talk about in the coming months."
Sony unveiled the PS4 in February during an event that focused on the console's PC-like hardware architecture and games like Capcom's Deep Down and indie developer Jonathan Blow's The Witness. In contrast, Microsoft's recent Xbox One event put a comparatively greater emphasis on entertainment services like TV integration and the upcoming live-action Halo series. Microsoft has promised a gaming-focused E3 press conference next month.
In an interview with CNBC today, Sony CEO Hirai also hinted at other unannounced services coming to the PS4.
"I think that with any PlayStation platform launch — and certainly with PS4 — we want to make sure we have the best and compelling games that we bring to our consumers and fans through both our first-party studio products as well as from our third-party partners," he said.
"That obviously, in this generation of software and hardware, is going to include a lot of social aspects [and] a lot of network aspects as well.
"But I think we've been synonymous with bringing compelling gaming experiences to customers around the world and PS4 is no exception."
We may learn more about those "social aspects" next month at Sony's PlayStation press conference at E3, which is scheduled for June 10, 2013 at 3 p.m. ET.
- Titanfall - Overview video
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Report: Google aquires Green Throttle Gaming's assets and co-founders
- Dark Souls 2 review: not the end
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Star Trek Online Mac client now live
- Back to work: The story of the Hello Games flood
- Phosfiend Systems releasing musical exploration game Fract OSC in April
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- This is why we can't have nice things.