Though it will have other uses yet to be revealed, the PlayStation 4 is "first and foremost a video game console," Sony president and CEO Kazuo Hirai said today during the D: All Things Digital conference.
In a briefing with reporters following his onstage appearance, Hirai said that the "most important thing" that the company needs to do in this initial phase is ensure that the next-gen console appeals to gamers, The Verge reports.
"We take a look at this first and foremost as a game console," Hirai said. "We don't want to end there. That's an area we will obviously reveal and talk about in the coming months."
Sony unveiled the PS4 in February during an event that focused on the console's PC-like hardware architecture and games like Capcom's Deep Down and indie developer Jonathan Blow's The Witness. In contrast, Microsoft's recent Xbox One event put a comparatively greater emphasis on entertainment services like TV integration and the upcoming live-action Halo series. Microsoft has promised a gaming-focused E3 press conference next month.
In an interview with CNBC today, Sony CEO Hirai also hinted at other unannounced services coming to the PS4.
"I think that with any PlayStation platform launch — and certainly with PS4 — we want to make sure we have the best and compelling games that we bring to our consumers and fans through both our first-party studio products as well as from our third-party partners," he said.
"That obviously, in this generation of software and hardware, is going to include a lot of social aspects [and] a lot of network aspects as well.
"But I think we've been synonymous with bringing compelling gaming experiences to customers around the world and PS4 is no exception."
We may learn more about those "social aspects" next month at Sony's PlayStation press conference at E3, which is scheduled for June 10, 2013 at 3 p.m. ET.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Meiji era Ace Attorney announcement trailer teases main characters
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Puppeteer, PayDay 2 and more join PS Plus Europe free game collection April 30
- Documentary that explores queerness in games out now for pay what you want price
- Botanicula ready for iPad on May 1
- The Dreamcast was the beginning, and the end, of the golden age of peripherals
- Star Wars: The Old Republic expansion Galactic Strongholds delayed
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Changing Posting Name
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant