Though it will have other uses yet to be revealed, the PlayStation 4 is "first and foremost a video game console," Sony president and CEO Kazuo Hirai said today during the D: All Things Digital conference.
In a briefing with reporters following his onstage appearance, Hirai said that the "most important thing" that the company needs to do in this initial phase is ensure that the next-gen console appeals to gamers, The Verge reports.
"We take a look at this first and foremost as a game console," Hirai said. "We don't want to end there. That's an area we will obviously reveal and talk about in the coming months."
Sony unveiled the PS4 in February during an event that focused on the console's PC-like hardware architecture and games like Capcom's Deep Down and indie developer Jonathan Blow's The Witness. In contrast, Microsoft's recent Xbox One event put a comparatively greater emphasis on entertainment services like TV integration and the upcoming live-action Halo series. Microsoft has promised a gaming-focused E3 press conference next month.
In an interview with CNBC today, Sony CEO Hirai also hinted at other unannounced services coming to the PS4.
"I think that with any PlayStation platform launch — and certainly with PS4 — we want to make sure we have the best and compelling games that we bring to our consumers and fans through both our first-party studio products as well as from our third-party partners," he said.
"That obviously, in this generation of software and hardware, is going to include a lot of social aspects [and] a lot of network aspects as well.
"But I think we've been synonymous with bringing compelling gaming experiences to customers around the world and PS4 is no exception."
We may learn more about those "social aspects" next month at Sony's PlayStation press conference at E3, which is scheduled for June 10, 2013 at 3 p.m. ET.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- Forum moderation?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31