Reached for comment this morning, publisher Bethesda's Pete Hines said the company doesn't comment on rumor and speculation, adding, "I don't have a status update on Prey 2."
Alien Noire first reported earlier this week that development on the game was being shopped around to different studios before landing at Arkane's Austin studio, where they were asked to develop the game from scratch using the same engine that powered Dishonored.
This morning, Kotaku reiterated the report with their own source who is "connected to the project," with some more details.
"The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards," according to the post. "Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule."
We've reached out to both Human Head and Arkane for comment and will update this story when officials respond.
- Dark Souls 2 review: not the end
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea: Episode Two DLC promo comes with an Irrational message
- Pixeljam's Glorkian Warrior: The Trials of Glork coming to iOS March 13
- Titanfall's achievement lies in allowing the player to find fun in failure
- Tower of Guns - Overview video
- BioShock Infinite Elizabeth Noir statue can be pre-ordered for $250
- How Hohokum's 'inspirational playlist' turned into a soundtrack
- Pokémon Honedge created by Man at Arms
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Getting a PS4
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon v1.9 - Article Redesign