Reached for comment this morning, publisher Bethesda's Pete Hines said the company doesn't comment on rumor and speculation, adding, "I don't have a status update on Prey 2."
Alien Noire first reported earlier this week that development on the game was being shopped around to different studios before landing at Arkane's Austin studio, where they were asked to develop the game from scratch using the same engine that powered Dishonored.
This morning, Kotaku reiterated the report with their own source who is "connected to the project," with some more details.
"The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards," according to the post. "Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule."
We've reached out to both Human Head and Arkane for comment and will update this story when officials respond.
- Link, F-Zero and Animal Crossing are coming to Mario Kart 8 as DLC
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Finale review: can't go home again
- If you thought Dark Souls was hard, try Titan Souls
- Lindsay Lohan lawsuit against GTA 5 publisher was 'for publicity,' says court documents
- The Pokemon fighting game won't play like Tekken (or feature Tekken characters)
- Republicans launch platform game to aid election push
- Multiplayer comes to Dragon Age with Inquisition's 4-player co-op mode
- Palestinian developer tackles a game ... about sperm
- See your favorite hockey arena in all its glory in NHL 15
- Dark Souls 2's Crown of the Old Iron King DLC feels like Dark Souls 1
- Got a great deal at GamesRepublic.com
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26
- On Patreon support
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- DDoS and QoS
- Why Pokkén Tournament is the best thing to happen to the Pokémon franchise for over a decade