Reached for comment this morning, publisher Bethesda's Pete Hines said the company doesn't comment on rumor and speculation, adding, "I don't have a status update on Prey 2."
Alien Noire first reported earlier this week that development on the game was being shopped around to different studios before landing at Arkane's Austin studio, where they were asked to develop the game from scratch using the same engine that powered Dishonored.
This morning, Kotaku reiterated the report with their own source who is "connected to the project," with some more details.
"The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards," according to the post. "Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule."
We've reached out to both Human Head and Arkane for comment and will update this story when officials respond.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Why Shadowgate's developers want you dead
- Strike Suit Zero, Dishonored and more available free on Xbox Live Gold in August
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Fahrenheit review: The sexiest sim of 1994
- Watch the cast of 'Game of Thrones' goof off in this blooper reel
- Here's advice for League of Legends first-timers from the people who make it
- Loki and the Green Goblin introduce Marvel Villains to Disney Infinity 2.0
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta