Reached for comment this morning, publisher Bethesda's Pete Hines said the company doesn't comment on rumor and speculation, adding, "I don't have a status update on Prey 2."
Alien Noire first reported earlier this week that development on the game was being shopped around to different studios before landing at Arkane's Austin studio, where they were asked to develop the game from scratch using the same engine that powered Dishonored.
This morning, Kotaku reiterated the report with their own source who is "connected to the project," with some more details.
"The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards," according to the post. "Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule."
We've reached out to both Human Head and Arkane for comment and will update this story when officials respond.
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- Tales from inside the Diversity Lounge: PAX's half-baked experiment
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- Starbound studio is helping to bring metroidvania RPG Heart Forth, Alicia to new platforms
- Trials Fusion review: back to the future
- Official Disney Fan Club site hints at Disney Infinity 2.0 launch this August
- PS4 update 1.70 coming soon, introduces video editor app, USB saves, game pre-loading
- Wolfenstein: The New Order pre-orders open on Steam, includes TF2 armor and hat
- A eulogy for World of Darkness, written by (and for) a White Wolf fan
- Sweden wants to use games to promote democracy and creativity
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!