Metro: Last Light launched to critical acclaim earlier this month, and 4A Games' post-apocalyptic shooter has also proved to be a commercial success worldwide, said publisher Deep Silver today.
In Last Light's first week on store shelves, its sales in the U.S. surpassed the lifetime sales numbers for Metro 2033 retail copies in the country. And globally, Deep Silver sold more copies of all versions of Last Light — all platforms, both digitally and at retail — in its first week of release than in the first three months of release for Metro 2033. That includes the well-performing Windows PC version, which outsold the PC version of Metro 2033 by a factor of three during its first week.
Deep Silver did not provide specific sales numbers, however.
"4A Games are honored by the reception our latest project has received," said Andrew Prokhorov, the studio's creative director, in a press release announcing the sales success. "We are a small but dedicated team who are lucky to have been given the creative freedom and support to make the kind of experience we dream, as gamers, of playing."
The studio is continuing its work on Last Light with four pieces of downloadable content that players can pre-purchase with a $15 season pass. In announcing the season pass last week, 4A Games said it plans to release the four DLC packs "throughout the summer."
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible