Maverick Hunter, the first-person shooter based on the Mega Man X franchise that was once in development at Armature Studio, elicited "very polarized opinions" within Capcom, according to senior vice president Christian Svensson.
Addressing a fan question on the Capcom Unity forums, Svensson pointed to mixed reception within the thread as an indicator of the reasons Maverick Hunter didn't get the green light from Capcom.
"Given the lack of consensus in this thread alone, that should tell you what you needed to know," Svensson wrote. "Suffice to say, there were very polarized opinions internally on this project as well."
Adi Granov, the concept artist who designed Mega Man's armor for Maverick Hunter, also recently chimed in on the "leaked, cancelled Megaman X project," posting his vision for the character on his Tumblr and Facebook.
"It's sad it didn't make it as I was very happy with the design," Granov wrote.
Polygon reported in April that former Capcom game designer Keiji Inafune had tapped Austin, Texas-based Armature Studio — which is comprised of former Metroid Prime creators — to develop a first-person shooter based in the Mega Man X universe. The game would have reinterpreted classic Mega Man moves and attacks in first-person in an attempt to modernize the series in search of a new audience. The game did not progress past a playable proof of concept.
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action
- AbleGamers Foundation raised more than $33K at PAX East 2014
- Hearthstone Fireside Gatherings will help players meet in the real world April 26
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC