Maverick Hunter, the first-person shooter based on the Mega Man X franchise that was once in development at Armature Studio, elicited "very polarized opinions" within Capcom, according to senior vice president Christian Svensson.
Addressing a fan question on the Capcom Unity forums, Svensson pointed to mixed reception within the thread as an indicator of the reasons Maverick Hunter didn't get the green light from Capcom.
"Given the lack of consensus in this thread alone, that should tell you what you needed to know," Svensson wrote. "Suffice to say, there were very polarized opinions internally on this project as well."
Adi Granov, the concept artist who designed Mega Man's armor for Maverick Hunter, also recently chimed in on the "leaked, cancelled Megaman X project," posting his vision for the character on his Tumblr and Facebook.
"It's sad it didn't make it as I was very happy with the design," Granov wrote.
Polygon reported in April that former Capcom game designer Keiji Inafune had tapped Austin, Texas-based Armature Studio — which is comprised of former Metroid Prime creators — to develop a first-person shooter based in the Mega Man X universe. The game would have reinterpreted classic Mega Man moves and attacks in first-person in an attempt to modernize the series in search of a new audience. The game did not progress past a playable proof of concept.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart