In lieu of holding a large-scale press conference at E3 2013, Nintendo will host a "Wii U Software Showcase" for media, featuring hands-on time with Wii U titles and remarks from game designer Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo of America COO Reggie Fils-Aime, just prior to the expo's opening.
According to an invitation from Nintendo received by Polygon, the company is giving media "the chance to get closer to the games through a unique hands-on experience" at its booth in the morning hours before E3 officially opens. On Tuesday, June 11, Miyamoto and Fils-Aime will present at 10:30 a.m. Pacific. That will be followed at 11 a.m. by a gameplay and question and answer session.
E3 officially opens its doors to the media and industry at 12 p.m. on June 11.
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced in April that the company would forgo a traditional press conference at this year's E3. Nintendo will instead hold a pair of private events for distributors and media focused on its software lineup for the U.S. market. It will also use its direct-to-consumer communication channel, Nintendo Direct, for announcements.
"We will have a strong line-up of beloved franchise experiences available for immediate hands-on play," Nintendo of America senior director of corporate communications Charlie Scibetta said after the announcement. "We are continuing to consider exciting new ways to bring the news of our games and information directly to the players at home during the E3 timeframe, and will have more to say about that at a later date."
Nintendo has promised a new Mario Kart, new Wii Party, new Super Smash Bros. and a new 3D Mario action game from the Super Mario Galaxy team will make an appearance at this year's E3.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Ultima Forever comes to an end months after closure of EA Mythic
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?