Sony is now manufacturing the PlayStation 3 in Brazil, according to an announcement, as part of the company's "commitment to invest in the growth of the gaming industry" in the country. PS3s manufactured at Sony's Brazilian facility with a 250GB hard drive will retail for $1099 Reais (about $550 USD).
"Sony Computer Entertainment continues to invest in the Brazil game market as part of our long-term commitment to the country and its gamers," said Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, at an event in Sao Paulo. "Locally manufacturing PlayStation 3 in Brazil will benefit gamers, retailers and developers. The local manufacture of PlayStation 3 is expected to infuse the Brazilian economy with approximately $300 million over the next 12 months."
In addition to announcing local manufacturing of the PS3, Sony announced localized versions of Naughty Dog's The Last of Us and Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto 5. Sony said GTA 5 will be the first Grand Theft Auto ever to be localized with text into Brazilian Portuguese.
Sony will release a locally manufactured PS3 in Brazil later this year, packaged with a copy of God of War: Ascension, for R$1,099.
The PlayStation 3 was officially released in Brazil in 2010 through the company's Sony Style stores, priced at R$1,999. Video game consoles command high official prices in Brazil, due to substantial tariffs applied to imported goods. Brazilian gamers frequently import consoles in an effort to bypass those fees and, according to comments on the Brazilian PlayStation Blog, some are still scoffing at the new suggested retail price of Sony's locally manufactured PS3s.
Microsoft began manufacturing the PS3's chief competitor, the Xbox 360, in Brazil in Sept. 2011 at a plant in Manaus, Amazonas.
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Could Nintendo go third party?
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?