Sony is now manufacturing the PlayStation 3 in Brazil, according to an announcement, as part of the company's "commitment to invest in the growth of the gaming industry" in the country. PS3s manufactured at Sony's Brazilian facility with a 250GB hard drive will retail for $1099 Reais (about $550 USD).
"Sony Computer Entertainment continues to invest in the Brazil game market as part of our long-term commitment to the country and its gamers," said Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, at an event in Sao Paulo. "Locally manufacturing PlayStation 3 in Brazil will benefit gamers, retailers and developers. The local manufacture of PlayStation 3 is expected to infuse the Brazilian economy with approximately $300 million over the next 12 months."
In addition to announcing local manufacturing of the PS3, Sony announced localized versions of Naughty Dog's The Last of Us and Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto 5. Sony said GTA 5 will be the first Grand Theft Auto ever to be localized with text into Brazilian Portuguese.
Sony will release a locally manufactured PS3 in Brazil later this year, packaged with a copy of God of War: Ascension, for R$1,099.
The PlayStation 3 was officially released in Brazil in 2010 through the company's Sony Style stores, priced at R$1,999. Video game consoles command high official prices in Brazil, due to substantial tariffs applied to imported goods. Brazilian gamers frequently import consoles in an effort to bypass those fees and, according to comments on the Brazilian PlayStation Blog, some are still scoffing at the new suggested retail price of Sony's locally manufactured PS3s.
Microsoft began manufacturing the PS3's chief competitor, the Xbox 360, in Brazil in Sept. 2011 at a plant in Manaus, Amazonas.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!