Former Assassin's Creed creative director Patrice Desilets wasn't the only Ubisoft Montreal employee let go from the studio this week. According to Desilets, Assassin's Creed producer and former THQ Montreal colleague Jean-François Boivin has also been fired by Ubisoft.
"Thinking of my good friend and producer [Jean-François Boivin] who also got fired yesterday," Desilets tweeted today. "I'm sharing your support with him..."
Boivin joined Ubisoft in 2005 as a project manager and eventually assumed the roles of production manager and associate producer on Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Boivin left Ubisoft in 2010 and joined Desilets at THQ Montreal to oversee the fledgling studio's "new AAA IP," according to his LinkedIn profile.
Ubisoft confirmed to Polygon on Tuesday that Desilets was no longer with Ubisoft Montreal, which he rejoined after THQ's bankruptcy and Ubisoft's acquisition of certain THQ assets. "Unfortunately, since the acquisition, the good faith discussions between Patrice and Ubisoft aimed at aligning Patrice's and the studio's visions have been inconclusive," read a statement from Ubisoft. "As a result, Patrice has left the studio."
Desilets contested his departure from Ubisoft Montreal in a follow-up statement, saying his leaving the studio "was not my decision."
"Ubisoft's actions are baseless and without merit," Desilets told Polygon. "I intend to fight Ubisoft vigorously for my rights, for my team and for my game."
Polygon has reached out to Boivin and Ubisoft seeking comment.
In This StoryStream
Patrice Desilets' bumpy ride: Former Assassin's Creed director fired after returning to Ubisoft, promises a 'fight'
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends