Correction: We misinterpreted a quote from Microsoft chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi during the Microsoft press conference; as it turns out, Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3 are not the first two games in the program.
"And to kick off that program ... to kick off that program I'd like to share just two of the titles that we're going to offer over the next few months: Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3," Mehdi said.
The first title made available in the Games with Gold promotion is actually Defense Grid: The Awakening. Microsoft spokesperson Major Nelson clarified on Twitter that the two games Mehdi mentioned are "part of the program," but that no dates have been given for their release. We apologize for the error. The original story is posted below.
Xbox Live Gold members will begin receiving two free games per month starting July 1 with Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3, Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi announced during the company's E3 press conference today.
Update: The first free game is Fable 3; it is available from June 10-30. The promotion will run for the rest of the year.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Nipah builds a PC
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design