Rare's Killer Instinct is coming to Xbox One as an exclusive, it was announced at Microsoft's E3 press conference today.
Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer teased last month that a "historic IP" from Rare might be make an appearance at E3. He said at the time: "Fans of Rare and Rare IP I think will be pleased with what we're going to show at E3. Rare remains an incredibly important part of our development capabilities. That historic IP that they've built I can can play a real important role on Xbox One."
The Killer Instinct fighting game series was originally developed by Rare in 1994, with Killer Instinct 2 and Killer Instinct: Gold releasing in 1996. The series was a criticial success and, after the release of Killer Instinct 2, it was widely rumored that Killer Instinct 3 was in the works, but this never came to fruition.
In 2012, Rare's parent company Microsoft applied for renewal of the Killer Instinct trademark, reigniting rumors of a possible sequel.
The game will ship alongside a MadCatz Tournament Edition fightstick, though release date and price information were not revealed.
A release date has not been confirmed. Developer Double Helix Games wrote on its website that the game will be playable at E3 this week and in public at secret locations that will be announced today. Watch the footage shown at today's conference below.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick