A new Mirror's Edge coming to next-generation systems was announced at today's Electronic Arts's E3 2013 press conference today.
"The stake is in the ground," writes Mirror's Edge senior producer Sara Jansson on the game's official website. "This new game will be a first-person action adventure starring Faith and I am here to tell you that we will stay true to Mirror's Edge."
The new Mirror's Edge will come to Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. The game "reboots the franchise for the next generation," EA says, and delivers an all-new origin story for Faith.
"We are still in early stages of development and we don't want to rush anything," she adds. "We want to make sure we create an experience that lives up to high expectations and fully takes advantage of the next generation of systems."
DICE is exploring "the best way to make Faith's return as memorable and impactful as the original game," Jansson says.
The original Mirror's Edge launched in 2009 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC. Tomb Raider writer Rhianna Pratchett penned the game's script. Last year, EA Labels president Frank Gibeau said that another Mirror's Edge game was "on a list" of things the studio wanted to create. A help page for Mirror's Edge 2 was discovered last month on the official EA website, though the page was removed shortly after.
The next Mirror's Edge will ship "when it's ready."
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends