A new Mirror's Edge coming to next-generation systems was announced at today's Electronic Arts's E3 2013 press conference today.
"The stake is in the ground," writes Mirror's Edge senior producer Sara Jansson on the game's official website. "This new game will be a first-person action adventure starring Faith and I am here to tell you that we will stay true to Mirror's Edge."
The new Mirror's Edge will come to Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. The game "reboots the franchise for the next generation," EA says, and delivers an all-new origin story for Faith.
"We are still in early stages of development and we don't want to rush anything," she adds. "We want to make sure we create an experience that lives up to high expectations and fully takes advantage of the next generation of systems."
DICE is exploring "the best way to make Faith's return as memorable and impactful as the original game," Jansson says.
The original Mirror's Edge launched in 2009 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC. Tomb Raider writer Rhianna Pratchett penned the game's script. Last year, EA Labels president Frank Gibeau said that another Mirror's Edge game was "on a list" of things the studio wanted to create. A help page for Mirror's Edge 2 was discovered last month on the official EA website, though the page was removed shortly after.
The next Mirror's Edge will ship "when it's ready."
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC