Plants vs. Zombies; Garden Warfare is a third-person action game set in PopCap's PvZ universe, EA announced during its E3 press conference today.
The game is slated to launch in spring 2014, according to a press release from EA. It will include four-player co-op and 24-player competitive modes. Players will also get the choice of playing as either plants or zombies. The game is coming first to Xbox One and later to Xbox 360 as well as "next-generation platforms and PC." PopCap will develop the game in the Frostbite 3 engine.
PopCap showed off the game's cooperative survival mode on stage, where they took on class-based roles as the pea shooter on offense, a sunflower serving as the game's healer class and a cactus who fights best from a distance.
They took their shots as each of the shambling enemies approached in waves, and they combined their powers to fight a gigantic zombie.
"Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare takes the PvZ experience to amazing new gameplay territory while retaining the core characteristics beloved by legions of fans," said Jon David, Plants vs. Zombies Executive Producer at PopCap. "This is a massive year for PvZ with the recent release of Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, the mid-July arrival of Plants vs. Zombies 2 and now with Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare for next-generation platforms and PC."
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?