Kingdom Hearts 3, the 10th installment in the Kingdom Hearts series and the final game in its current storyline, will launch for PlayStation 4, Square Enix announced today during Sony's E3 press conference.
Tetsuya Nomura acknowledged Kingdom Hearts 3 was in development shortly after the release of 2010 PlayStation Portable title Kingdom Heats: Birth by Sleep.
The first Kingdom Hearts launched in 2002 for PlayStation 2. The games focus on a young boy named Sora, Mickey Mouse and their friends as they travel through worlds that mashup elements and characters from Final Fantasy games and classic Disney films.
The series' games, both numbered installments and spin-off games contributing to the series' branching storylines, have also been released on Nintendo DS and 3DS as well as PlayStation Portable. The latest title, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, launched last summer for the 3DS and set up the plot for the final game.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?