Long in-development title Final Fantasy Versus 13 has been rebranded as Final Fantasy 15 and will launch on the PlayStation 4, Square Enix announced during Sony's E3 press conference.
The announcement was preceeded by a trailer showing new footage of the game and its characters, featuring prominently protagonist prince Noctis Lucius Caeulum. Gameplay appears to be action-based and moves quickly.
Final Fantasy Versus 13 was announced at E3 2006 as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis games, a trio of titles that would use the same themes and be part of the same world. During development the studio teams drifted in different directions, resulting in three separate titles under the Fabula name: Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy Agito 13 — later rebranded Type-0 — and Final Fantasy Versus 13. Final Fantasy 13 launched in Japan in 2009 and internationally in 2010, while Type-0 launched in Japan for PlayStation Portable in Oct. 2011. The former has since received two sequels: last year's Final Fantasy 13-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13, slated to launch next February.
Since the 2006 announcement, Versus 13 has been in limbo, with Square Enix sharing limited information and the release of only one video of gameplay.
In This StoryStream
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Games with great Sound Design
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us