Gaikai is the cloud-based underpinning for the PlayStation 4, but it won't be available when the console launches this holiday season — Gaikai will launch in 2014, said Sony's Andrew House during the company's E3 press conference today.
Sony bought Gaikai for $380 million last summer, and Gaikai CEO David Perry introduced the service for PS4 during the console's reveal event this past February. Gaikai will be used for features like instant game streaming, instant demos and allowing friends to take over gameplay.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN