Gaikai is the cloud-based underpinning for the PlayStation 4, but it won't be available when the console launches this holiday season — Gaikai will launch in 2014, said Sony's Andrew House during the company's E3 press conference today.
Sony bought Gaikai for $380 million last summer, and Gaikai CEO David Perry introduced the service for PS4 during the console's reveal event this past February. Gaikai will be used for features like instant game streaming, instant demos and allowing friends to take over gameplay.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Looking for some good Players
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- What's your favorite silly game?