Gaikai is the cloud-based underpinning for the PlayStation 4, but it won't be available when the console launches this holiday season — Gaikai will launch in 2014, said Sony's Andrew House during the company's E3 press conference today.
Sony bought Gaikai for $380 million last summer, and Gaikai CEO David Perry introduced the service for PS4 during the console's reveal event this past February. Gaikai will be used for features like instant game streaming, instant demos and allowing friends to take over gameplay.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Getting a PS4
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon v1.9 - Article Redesign