The PlayStation 4 will be released this holiday season for $399 in North America, and Sony Computer Entertainment detailed the contents of the hardware and the box in a press release this evening.
All PS4 consoles will feature a 500 GB hard drive, just like the Xbox One. Sony listed some of the device's hardware specifications when it announced the console in February, and went into further detail today after unveiling the design of the console itself.
According to Sony, the console's internal architecture was designed in such a way as to "keep the body as slim and light as possible." As you can see in the product photos below, the console appears to be split into four blocks, and the disc slot, power buttons, power indicator and vent sit between the four sections. The indicator light glows blue when the console is on; Sony's official name for the console's color is "Jet Black."
The PS4 includes two USB 3.0 ports on the front of the console. It weighs 2.8 kg (6.17 lbs) and measures 275 mm wide by 53 mm high by 305 mm long (10.83 inches by 2.08 inches by 12 inches). The ports available on the back are power, HDMI out, optical audio out, AUX (for the PlayStation Eye) and Ethernet — like the Xbox One, the PS4 does not support video outputs other than HDMI (such as component video).
The box comes with a console, one DualShock 4 controller, 1 mono headset in earbud form, a power cable, a USB cable and an HDMI cable. According to the press release's list of PS4 box contents, the PlayStation Eye camera is not included in the box; it will be sold separately for $59 in North America (£44 in the U.K. and €49 in Europe), and additional DualShock 4 controllers will also cost $59 each (£54 in the U.K. and €59 in Europe).
In This StoryStream
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!