The PlayStation 4 will be region-free when it comes to games, said Sony's Brad Douglas on Twitter.
Douglas, who handles third-party relations for Sony Computer Entertainment, said he was told by the company's public relations department that there is "no region locking."
We've reached out to Sony for confirmation, and will update this article with any information we receive.
The PlayStation 3 was also region-free for games; Blu-ray Discs and DVDs, however, along with PlayStation Network content, were region-locked. A Microsoft spokesperson did not confirm to Polygon a report from last month saying the Xbox One would be region-locked.
Update: Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, confirmed the report on Twitter late last night, saying, "And yes, PS4 is region free."
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?