The PlayStation 4 will be region-free when it comes to games, said Sony's Brad Douglas on Twitter.
Douglas, who handles third-party relations for Sony Computer Entertainment, said he was told by the company's public relations department that there is "no region locking."
We've reached out to Sony for confirmation, and will update this article with any information we receive.
The PlayStation 3 was also region-free for games; Blu-ray Discs and DVDs, however, along with PlayStation Network content, were region-locked. A Microsoft spokesperson did not confirm to Polygon a report from last month saying the Xbox One would be region-locked.
Update: Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, confirmed the report on Twitter late last night, saying, "And yes, PS4 is region free."
In This StoryStream
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Getting a PS4
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- The Last of US DLC
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US