The PlayStation 4 will be region-free when it comes to games, said Sony's Brad Douglas on Twitter.
Douglas, who handles third-party relations for Sony Computer Entertainment, said he was told by the company's public relations department that there is "no region locking."
We've reached out to Sony for confirmation, and will update this article with any information we receive.
The PlayStation 3 was also region-free for games; Blu-ray Discs and DVDs, however, along with PlayStation Network content, were region-locked. A Microsoft spokesperson did not confirm to Polygon a report from last month saying the Xbox One would be region-locked.
Update: Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, confirmed the report on Twitter late last night, saying, "And yes, PS4 is region free."
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- What's your favorite silly game?