In an unusual departure from E3 tradition, Nintendo opted to forgo a traditional press conference in favor of streaming a presentation in its "Nintendo Direct" format. "As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said in April. Nintendo's E3 presence will be "specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market," he explained.
"During the E3 period, we will utilize our direct communication tools, such as Nintendo Direct, to deliver information to our Japanese audience," Iwata said. "And we will take the same approach outside Japan for the overseas fans as well."
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today