A new extended version of the Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain trailer is significantly more brutal than the edition shown at Microsoft's E3 press event.
The first three or so minutes of the "Red Band" trailer are entirely new, and contain several scenes of graphic torture and violence. A woman, later in the trailer revealed to be the voiceless sniper Quiet, is tied to a chair and shocked with electric prods. A prisoner is beaten and drowned by pouring water over the bag on his head before being executed, and a young boy is held down as a package is cut out of his stomach and handed to protagonist Punished Snake. Another prisoner with a similar black bag over his head is awoken via a bucket of water thrown by longtime series nemesis Revolver Ocelot.
The new content also shows a man instructing child soldiers how to fire an assault rifle, and narration that reinforces the characters' motivations: not love or honor, but revenge.
The rest of the trailer is identical to the version shown yesterday, featuring both a gameplay demo that highlights MGS5's new open world and a story trailer introducing the major players like Ocelot and Emmerich, who is presumably the father of Solid Snake's companion Hal "Otacon" Emmerich. Emmerich's clothing resembles that of the man woken by Ocelot earlier in the trailer.
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain will be coming to PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One sometime in 2014.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)