Zenimax Online's upcoming multi-platform MMO The Elder Scrolls Online will segregate PlayStation 4 and Xbox One users to their own servers, while PC and Mac users will remain on a single shared server, the studio's Paul Sage told Polygon.
Sage, who works as creative director on the studio's MMO offering, stated that despite recently announcing the title would hit both next-gen platforms as well as Windows PC and Mac, the game will feature three separate server environments to ensure fairness in PvP across all systems as those on PC and Mac will use a mouse and keyboard while console users will have only a controller.
Describing the overall focus on next-gen games development particularly apparent during this year's E3, Sage said the development of titles for Windows PC remains "amazing," adding that PC games development will be unaffected by the surge of interest in PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
"PC is still untouchable, it's the PC," said Sage. "We're working to perfect UI and gameplay specific to the PC version of Elder Scrolls Online and the console version will have its own UI and be more controller-specific, but PC is going nowhere. "
"I've been in the industry for a long time and I've been hearing PC is dying for years, and then consoles are dying, and then PC is dying again. It's not."
The Elder Scrolls Online is slated to have a simultaneous release on all platforms in spring 2014. The Windows PC release was initially scheduled to launch in late 2013 but will be delayed until this time.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29