Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain led Microsoft's Xbox One press conference with an impressive trailer earlier this week, showcasing the game's photorealistic lighting engine, a vast open world and detailed character models.
But series creator Hideo Kojima says the next-gen versions of the game will ultimately look much better than what was first shown on Monday.
"For this project we were using the PC to build the Fox Engine to create our game," Kojima explained in an interview at E3 today. "We're using the current-generation as a [guideline]. While we were developing on current-gen, next-gen came long. We're really trying to reach the peak of the current generation right now — 360, PS3 — and then see how much we can take it up for the next-generation."
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's E3 presentation was "more tuned to current generation," Kojima said, in terms of the game's models and textures.
"Once we start going into development for next-generation we're definitely looking for something better than [what] we have shown today," he said. Kojima added that the developer is aiming for a 60 frames per second refresh rate and a higher resolution for the game's Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases.
Kojima said the next Metal Gear Solid will also feature interactivity with smartphones and tablets.
"You can also enjoy the game with multiple devices," he said, so players can "enjoy [Metal Gear Solid 5] from anywhere at any time."
"With MGS5, I feel that [using] multiple devices, tablets and smartphones and how to interact with it socially is a big step forward."
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain was announced this week for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC