The used games market and pricing model for AAA games cannot co-exist, the later being unsustainable while the former continues to grow, according to Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski.
Bleszinski took to Twitter to argue that Sony's announcement that there will be no restrictions in playing used games on the PlayStation 4 may not have been entirely correct.
"I'd bet Sony has some similar stuff up their sleeves, they're just playing on the internet outrage for free PR," he tweeted. "You're all being played!
"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing," he added. "The numbers do not work people."
Last week during Sony's E3 press conference, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Jack Tretton's announcement there would be no used games restrictions for the PS4 was met with a standing ovation. Bleszinski argued over Twitter that the used games market is on its way out, and gamers should expect new business models as the industry moves into next-gen.
"The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assassin's Creed games are made by thousands of devs.
"Newsflash. This is why you're seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere," he said. "The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling."
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Changing Posting Name
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant