Gameloft, the Paris, France-based mobile developer, brought three unreleased games to E3 2013, so Polygon picked up and iPad and went hands-on with the shooter Modern Combat 5, the racing sim Asphalt 8 and the real-time strategy game Total Conquest, each of which is scheduled for release later this year.
Asphalt 8: Airborne
Asphalt 8: Airborne boasts 47 licensed luxury cars, a new physics engine and a zombie-inspired mode called "Infected," in which the car in last place becomes green, nets unlimited boost and can infect other cars with the gentlest of nudges. The novelty of the new mode made the game immediately accessible. It played like a classic arcade game. Even the occasional crash into an opposing car or bridge abutment didn't set us back too far because it seemed designed to allow for maximum recklessness. You can check Asphalt 8 out in the gallery below.
Modern Combat 5
The most striking aspect of the fifth installment in Gameloft's military first-person shooter franchise is just how good it looks. Textures appear crisp and as you peer into the distance, the developers provide a rather stunning view of the virtual Venice where the level we played takes place.
As with other entries in the franchise, Modern Combat 5 supports an assisted virtual dual analog control scheme. New to the franchise is the ability to revive and be revived by your allies. Check out the trailer below to see the Venetian battlefield.
In Total Conquest, an upcoming real-time strategy game, players take on the role of a Roman governor, where you'll build and defend your city-state. On offense, you'll be able to invade neighboring provinces with an army you grow by managing your city-state and participating in some good, old-fashioned plundering. Players will also be able to team up with friends through Facebook and Game Center and coordinate battles with a system called Alliance Wars. Check out ancient Rome as interpreted by Gameloft in the gallery below.
- Development hell: The video game
- Which games company do developers most want to work for?
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free
- Caped crusader goes kinda nuts in new Lego Batman 3 trailer
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas' Frostwyrm Lair embarrassed us in front of you
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare isn't coming to Wii U
- Mad Max developer working on 'surprises,' possibly Just Cause 3
- P.T.'s secret radio transmissions may point to a returning Silent Hill tradition