Gameloft, the Paris, France-based mobile developer, brought three unreleased games to E3 2013, so Polygon picked up and iPad and went hands-on with the shooter Modern Combat 5, the racing sim Asphalt 8 and the real-time strategy game Total Conquest, each of which is scheduled for release later this year.
Asphalt 8: Airborne
Asphalt 8: Airborne boasts 47 licensed luxury cars, a new physics engine and a zombie-inspired mode called "Infected," in which the car in last place becomes green, nets unlimited boost and can infect other cars with the gentlest of nudges. The novelty of the new mode made the game immediately accessible. It played like a classic arcade game. Even the occasional crash into an opposing car or bridge abutment didn't set us back too far because it seemed designed to allow for maximum recklessness. You can check Asphalt 8 out in the gallery below.
Modern Combat 5
The most striking aspect of the fifth installment in Gameloft's military first-person shooter franchise is just how good it looks. Textures appear crisp and as you peer into the distance, the developers provide a rather stunning view of the virtual Venice where the level we played takes place.
As with other entries in the franchise, Modern Combat 5 supports an assisted virtual dual analog control scheme. New to the franchise is the ability to revive and be revived by your allies. Check out the trailer below to see the Venetian battlefield.
In Total Conquest, an upcoming real-time strategy game, players take on the role of a Roman governor, where you'll build and defend your city-state. On offense, you'll be able to invade neighboring provinces with an army you grow by managing your city-state and participating in some good, old-fashioned plundering. Players will also be able to team up with friends through Facebook and Game Center and coordinate battles with a system called Alliance Wars. Check out ancient Rome as interpreted by Gameloft in the gallery below.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth videos detail damage-dealing Boost system
- Why the makers of Guacamelee decided to make a touch game about a one-armed woman
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'