According to Iwinski, the studio is currently hoping to bring free DLC to all platforms as well, including PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles; however this is dependent on platform holders.
"It's too early to talk specifics, but definitely all the DLCs and updates will be free," he said. "Of course, we'll see what the platform holders will allow, what we can do for free [on next-gen consoles]. I mean, there are different business models on consoles. From our standpoint, we'll definitely do everything we can to deliver the same experience across all platforms."
The Witcher 3 will release to PC on games distribution website Good Old Games on day one and will be DRM-free. While Iwinski acknowledged that Microsoft's DRM policies for the new Xbox One system is at odds with the studio, he emphasized that the decision to bring the game to the console favors gamers.
"A lot of people on forums are saying, 'No, but you guys are anti-DRM,'" studio head Marcin Iwinski explained. "And we really are anti-DRM. But at the same time, there are people who'll be fine with [Xbox One's online-heavy DRM]. They'll buy the console and just want to play. Why should we not give them this option?
"That's our approach, but at the same time, we don't know what the final policies are. Things might be changing. There's a lot of heat right now. From our perspective, we'll always choose the most gamer-friendly solution. And on the platform where we have control, which is PC, we'll release on GOG day one and DRM-free."
Check out our recent preview of the game from last week's E3.
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Square Goods @PS4 INVITE live 9pm pst
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?