According to Iwinski, the studio is currently hoping to bring free DLC to all platforms as well, including PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles; however this is dependent on platform holders.
"It's too early to talk specifics, but definitely all the DLCs and updates will be free," he said. "Of course, we'll see what the platform holders will allow, what we can do for free [on next-gen consoles]. I mean, there are different business models on consoles. From our standpoint, we'll definitely do everything we can to deliver the same experience across all platforms."
The Witcher 3 will release to PC on games distribution website Good Old Games on day one and will be DRM-free. While Iwinski acknowledged that Microsoft's DRM policies for the new Xbox One system is at odds with the studio, he emphasized that the decision to bring the game to the console favors gamers.
"A lot of people on forums are saying, 'No, but you guys are anti-DRM,'" studio head Marcin Iwinski explained. "And we really are anti-DRM. But at the same time, there are people who'll be fine with [Xbox One's online-heavy DRM]. They'll buy the console and just want to play. Why should we not give them this option?
"That's our approach, but at the same time, we don't know what the final policies are. Things might be changing. There's a lot of heat right now. From our perspective, we'll always choose the most gamer-friendly solution. And on the platform where we have control, which is PC, we'll release on GOG day one and DRM-free."
Check out our recent preview of the game from last week's E3.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.