Leading retailer GameStop says Microsoft's decision to reverse its DRM policies is "great news".
A spokesperson for the retailer told Polygon, "GameStop welcomes today's announcement from Microsoft about changes in functionality for its next-generation console, the Xbox One. This is great news for gamers and we applaud Microsoft for understanding consumers and the importance of the pre-owned market."
Earlier today, Microsoft announced that, following widespread criticism of its DRM features for Xbox One, it would be reversing a decision to implement online check-in policies, which would have restricted the sale of used games. Much of GameStop's profits come from the sale of used games. GameStop's stock price surged six percent in after-hours trading today, following Microsoft's announcement.
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9