Hammerpoint Interactive's zombie survival MMO, The War Z, has been renamed Infestation: Survivor Stories, the developer announced via press release.
Current players won't have to worry about an interruption of service or major change to the game itself. According to Hammerpoint, the name swap is part of an effort to "help fans differentiate the popular game from similarly titles brands," after discovering it was close to to another property. In January of this year, DayZ creator Dean Hall expressed anger at the similarity of the two game names.
The War Z launched in 2012 to some controversy. Customers complained that the game's marketing and description were misleading, pointing to discrepancies in map size and server capacity. The game was pulled from Steam after Valve claimed it was issued "prematurely," but returned several months later.
Infestation: Survivor Stories is available for Windows PC.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Batman Returns (Wed 5 Mar)