Hammerpoint Interactive's zombie survival MMO, The War Z, has been renamed Infestation: Survivor Stories, the developer announced via press release.
Current players won't have to worry about an interruption of service or major change to the game itself. According to Hammerpoint, the name swap is part of an effort to "help fans differentiate the popular game from similarly titles brands," after discovering it was close to to another property. In January of this year, DayZ creator Dean Hall expressed anger at the similarity of the two game names.
The War Z launched in 2012 to some controversy. Customers complained that the game's marketing and description were misleading, pointing to discrepancies in map size and server capacity. The game was pulled from Steam after Valve claimed it was issued "prematurely," but returned several months later.
Infestation: Survivor Stories is available for Windows PC.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)