Hammerpoint Interactive's zombie survival MMO, The War Z, has been renamed Infestation: Survivor Stories, the developer announced via press release.
Current players won't have to worry about an interruption of service or major change to the game itself. According to Hammerpoint, the name swap is part of an effort to "help fans differentiate the popular game from similarly titles brands," after discovering it was close to to another property. In January of this year, DayZ creator Dean Hall expressed anger at the similarity of the two game names.
The War Z launched in 2012 to some controversy. Customers complained that the game's marketing and description were misleading, pointing to discrepancies in map size and server capacity. The game was pulled from Steam after Valve claimed it was issued "prematurely," but returned several months later.
Infestation: Survivor Stories is available for Windows PC.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Pre-load coming to the XB1 according to the store page
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- On Patreon support
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9