Hammerpoint Interactive's zombie survival MMO, The War Z, has been renamed Infestation: Survivor Stories, the developer announced via press release.
Current players won't have to worry about an interruption of service or major change to the game itself. According to Hammerpoint, the name swap is part of an effort to "help fans differentiate the popular game from similarly titles brands," after discovering it was close to to another property. In January of this year, DayZ creator Dean Hall expressed anger at the similarity of the two game names.
The War Z launched in 2012 to some controversy. Customers complained that the game's marketing and description were misleading, pointing to discrepancies in map size and server capacity. The game was pulled from Steam after Valve claimed it was issued "prematurely," but returned several months later.
Infestation: Survivor Stories is available for Windows PC.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible