Nintendo is not planning to make a new game in the F-Zero racing series because the company currently has no ideas that could make a new entry fresh, Shigeru Miyamoto told IGN.
Miyamoto said that despite the link between F-Zero's futuristic mechanics and the addition of anti-gravity to upcoming Wii U title Mario Kart 8, this does not mean the company is thinking about reviving the racing franchise.
"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," said Miyamoto. "I think where I struggle is that I don't really have a good idea for what's new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don't know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."
When asked if he felt some franchises would not do well in the current generation, Miyamoto responded that Nintendo is focusing on internal development, and they currently don't have the staff to work on other series like F-Zero.
"It's tough," he said. "We come to the show and we bring a lot of great franchises and everyone says, 'Oh, well, where's this game that I want to play? Where's something new?' I only have so much capacity.
"Obviously in the past we've tried to work with other companies, where we've let them develop games for us in franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero, but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own," he added. "We've obviously, as I mentioned, been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time, so we can create new games and work on additional old IP and still maintain the other primary franchises that people want to see."
Check out our preview of Mario Kart 8 here.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- RIP Friends List?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming