Nintendo is not planning to make a new game in the F-Zero racing series because the company currently has no ideas that could make a new entry fresh, Shigeru Miyamoto told IGN.
Miyamoto said that despite the link between F-Zero's futuristic mechanics and the addition of anti-gravity to upcoming Wii U title Mario Kart 8, this does not mean the company is thinking about reviving the racing franchise.
"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," said Miyamoto. "I think where I struggle is that I don't really have a good idea for what's new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don't know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."
When asked if he felt some franchises would not do well in the current generation, Miyamoto responded that Nintendo is focusing on internal development, and they currently don't have the staff to work on other series like F-Zero.
"It's tough," he said. "We come to the show and we bring a lot of great franchises and everyone says, 'Oh, well, where's this game that I want to play? Where's something new?' I only have so much capacity.
"Obviously in the past we've tried to work with other companies, where we've let them develop games for us in franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero, but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own," he added. "We've obviously, as I mentioned, been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time, so we can create new games and work on additional old IP and still maintain the other primary franchises that people want to see."
Check out our preview of Mario Kart 8 here.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- How the E.T. documentary chronicles the birth of the unsatisfied game consumer
- Report: R.B.I. Baseball 14 to launch on April 10
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Battlefield 4 forum?
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- XBOne Classifieds
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?