The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup, a 2D platformer from former Rare developers at Gory Detail, is in development and headed to the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS eShops in 2014, developer Chris Seavor told Nintendo Life.
The game is "a very sad tale," Seavor said, with a "serious and adult story" and a a work-in-progress core mechanic.
"You physically move in and out of the screen," he said. "It's also got hints of Lemmings in there. The game has a core gameplay mechanic — and when I say mechanic I mean something you do which will effect something else in the game world — which we can't say because it will give so much away! The main reason I'm being secretive is because we don't know whether it works or not yet and until we've tried it properly, we won't know. It will change. You put a mechanic in and even the simplest mechanic will throw out a thousand different problems."
Joining Seavor on The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup is another ex-Rare employee, Shawn Pile, who worked as a senior software engineer until leaving the company last September after 16 years.
Be sure to check out Polygon's interview with Seavor for more on Gory Detail, how he develops based on instinct and the developer's iOS debut, Parashoot Stan.
- Watch what Grand Theft Auto 4's killer PC mod does for its original trailer
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- GOG.com accidentally gives away thousands of games
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Wii version of Skylanders Trap Team bundled with Wii U download code