The Shin Megami Tensei franchise typically features male protagonists because each game is survival driven and "on average male figures have a better chance to survive than females," character designer Masayuki Doi told Siliconera during an interview.
Speaking with the site about upcoming title Shin Megami Tensei 4, Doi said that male heroes weren't specific to one game, but "the core Shin Megami Tensei in general."
"Of course, there are very strong females — strong willed and females with strong physique, that survive, so we hand pick a few of those strong female archetypes to represent the female side," Doi said.
Doi added that "it would be cool" to have a female lead in the next game, but the series has a tradition that some think it should uphold.
"However, there are traditionalists on the development team that see the series from the past to present and all of the protagonists have been male," Doi said. "To keep that tradition, there is feedback I've been hearing saying that if there is a new SMT title we should keep the tradition of having a male lead."
Shin Megami Tensei 4 launches July 16 in North America for Nintendo 3DS.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!
- how do i cross save olliolli from Vita to ps4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game