Baldur's Gate 3 is still a possibility despite legal and contractual issues facing developer Beamdog, studio head Trent Oster told Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
The developer recently revealed both Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition and patch updates for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition have been put on indefinite hold following legal problems that reared their head; however, the third entry in the series isn't off the cards just yet even while Oster describes the team as "demoralized."
"The prognosis [for resuming work on Baldur's Gate] is mixed," he said. "Best case, we can sort this out soon. Worst case, this could be in legal hell for a while. I like making games, but this contractual dispute bullshit keeps me up at night.
"Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition is on indefinite hold, as is the current patch. Baldur's Gate 3, we are still interested in the concept, but currently I'd say were very demoralized."
Beamdog has not revealed which "publishing partner" is behind its legal woes. Last week, Oster took to the official Baldur's Gate website to announce Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition was being removed from the App Store.
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Deadpool's Hollywood screen test begins with Gwen Stefani, ends with a decapitated head
- Ex-Silicon Knights dev sentenced in child pornography case, charged with sexual assault
- NIS America to make its GaymerX payment 'in full,' conference founder apologizes
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites