Mojang's open-world game, Minecraft, has sold more than 11 million units for Windows PC and Mac, according to the game's official website.
At the time of writing 11,007,214 units of Minecraft have been sold across Windows PC and Mac platforms. The 11 million milestone follows shortly after downloads for the open-world crafting game surpassed 10 million in April. At the time, Jens Bergensten Mojang's lead designer and developer tweeted a photo of horse as "subtle hint" on the main feature for the upcoming 1.6 Update to celebrate the achievement.
Minecraft for PC first released as an alpha in May 17, 2009, with a full release following a few years later on November 18, 2011. Seven million copies of Minecraft for PC were sold by August, 2012. As Polygon reported in February, Mojang's revenue for 2012 was approximately $237.7 million.
4J Studios' Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition was released on May 9, 2012 and surpassed six million downloads in March. A boxed retail version of the console edition was released on June 4 and Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson took to Twitter yesterday to proclaim the successful initial sales of the boxed edition.
And they're telling me it's currently the fastest selling console game in the US. Neato! :D— Markus Persson (@notch) June 20, 2013
It was announced during Microsoft's E3 2013 press conference that Minecraft will launch on the Xbox One. Minecraft Xbox 360 developer 4J Studios is currently talking with Microsoft Studios on whether save files can transfer to Xbox One consoles.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Telltale describes the difficulty of starting over in The Walking Dead Season Two
- Goat Simulator's Steam support is the 'most defining and important part'
- Report: Xbox Live could feature targeted political ads
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy content