A Crackdown icon shown during the event at which Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One wasn't accidental, Microsoft's Phil Spencer told IGN.
While Spencer didn't clarify the exact significance of the Xbox One tile, he did say that it was deliberate.
"Oh ... Crackdown is one of my favorite games, and not just because it's a Microsoft first-party game," Spencer said. "I have a lot of love for that franchise. The homage to Crackdown in the reveal screenshots was... I know there was some, like, 'Did we accidentally sneak that?' It wasn't accidental. Definitely."
You can see the allusion to the open-world third-person action franchise highlighted in the picture above. It's behind Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president for Microsoft's interactive entertainment business, at the bottom left corner of the center screen.
The series stands at two installments: Crackdown (Realtime Worlds, 2007) and Crackdown 2 (Ruffian Games, 2010), both of which were published by Microsoft Studios.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible