A Crackdown icon shown during the event at which Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One wasn't accidental, Microsoft's Phil Spencer told IGN.
While Spencer didn't clarify the exact significance of the Xbox One tile, he did say that it was deliberate.
"Oh ... Crackdown is one of my favorite games, and not just because it's a Microsoft first-party game," Spencer said. "I have a lot of love for that franchise. The homage to Crackdown in the reveal screenshots was... I know there was some, like, 'Did we accidentally sneak that?' It wasn't accidental. Definitely."
You can see the allusion to the open-world third-person action franchise highlighted in the picture above. It's behind Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president for Microsoft's interactive entertainment business, at the bottom left corner of the center screen.
The series stands at two installments: Crackdown (Realtime Worlds, 2007) and Crackdown 2 (Ruffian Games, 2010), both of which were published by Microsoft Studios.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!