A Crackdown icon shown during the event at which Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One wasn't accidental, Microsoft's Phil Spencer told IGN.
While Spencer didn't clarify the exact significance of the Xbox One tile, he did say that it was deliberate.
"Oh ... Crackdown is one of my favorite games, and not just because it's a Microsoft first-party game," Spencer said. "I have a lot of love for that franchise. The homage to Crackdown in the reveal screenshots was... I know there was some, like, 'Did we accidentally sneak that?' It wasn't accidental. Definitely."
You can see the allusion to the open-world third-person action franchise highlighted in the picture above. It's behind Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president for Microsoft's interactive entertainment business, at the bottom left corner of the center screen.
The series stands at two installments: Crackdown (Realtime Worlds, 2007) and Crackdown 2 (Ruffian Games, 2010), both of which were published by Microsoft Studios.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Share Button Use? Can you post to another service other than FaceBook?
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?