Todd Hollenshead, president and former CEO of developer id Software, has left the game studio, publisher Bethesda Softworks has confirmed to Polygon.
"After many years with the studio, Todd Hollenshead decided to leave id Software to pursue other personal interests," reads a statement from Bethesda. "While Todd was not part of the development teams, he was an integral part of id Software's success as the business head of the studio and we wish him the very best in his future endeavors."
Hollenshead joined id Software in 1996, serving as the company's CEO. He took on the role of president of the developer, best known for its Doom, Quake and Rage games, in 2009 following ZeniMax Media's acquisition of id Software.
id Software is currently developing Doom 4. The shooter was reportedly rebooted in 2011 after the game "did not exhibit the quality and excitement that id and Bethesda intend to deliver and that Doom fans worldwide expect," according to Pete Hines, vice president of marketing and public relations for publisher Bethesda Softworks. id Software has since "refocused its efforts on a new version" of Doom 4.
The Richardson, Tex.-based studio's most recent releases are 2012's Doom 3: BFG Edition and 2011's Rage. For more on the future of the developer, from Hollenshead and id Software creative director Tim Willits, read Polygon's interview with the duo from QuakeCon 2012.
- The fixer: Why Rod Fergusson returned to Gears of War
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell (update)
- Polygon Plays: Deus Ex - Episode one
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is the chili cheese fry of Marvel's movie collection
- Players want more options than murder, and GTA 5 proves it
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites