Gaming gear manufacturer Astro is pursuing a developing license for the Xbox One in order to create compatible peripherals, Game Informer reports.
The publication spoke with director of marketing Aron Drayer, who said that Microsoft "is pushing ahead with new technology" that will ultimately affect how the system works. Microsoft apparently confirmed today with Game Informer that only Xbox One controllers and accessories will work with the console.
"Everybody got locked out of Xbox One," Drayer said. "For instance, the Madcatz guys make some great fighting sticks for the Xbox 360. Those aren't going to work with your Xbox One. It's the nature of moving from one platform to another."
Drayer added that voice chat on existing Astro headsets will not work. The company will have to make specific headsets for the Xbox One, rather than universal devices.
"Everybody is introducing new products, because the experience that Microsoft is developing on the Xbox One demands a different type of solution," Drayer said. "We love what they are doing, and it's super progressive, and we're really excited to potentially partner with them."
We've reached out to Microsoft for comment and will update accordingly. Earlier today, Microsoft announced that the Xbox One would not ship with a headset.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- California city repeals longstanding ban on ... playing pinball?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Ouya strikes a deal to bring games to China
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy