Despite the comparisons being made between next-gen systems, in reality consoles are simply taking innovations previously developed on and led by PC platforms, Alienware general manager Frank Azor told PCGamesN.
According to Azor, this puts PCs as the platform of choice even in an era of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
"A lot of the innovations and things that are proven on the PC are making their ways onto consoles," he said, "The consoles are looking more and more like PCs every day.
"If you look at what Sony and Microsoft are doing, they're taking PCs and putting them into the living room. It's an AMD CPU, it's an AMD graphics card, it's a standard desktop hard drive. It's unbelievable. That tells you that the PC is the gaming platform of choice out there, there is nothing out there that's better. You look at what they're trying to do and they're becoming more and more like PCs."
The influence of PC innovations on consoles is clear, says Azor, particularly in how game installation has evolved on consoles.
"You're installing games now instead of running them off the disc, because that's the right thing to do; you're downloading games digitally, which we've been doing on PC for years; they're integrating certain TV aspects and stuff, well, ten years ago we started experimenting with media center.
"I mean we can tell you how to do that on Alienware with media center PCs during that whole time. It's a little bit different now because the technology has matured considerably, but a lot of the innovations and things that are proven on the PC are making their ways onto consoles and the consoles are looking more and more like PCs every day."
PS4 and Xbox One are slated to launch later this year. PCs are currently available everywhere.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?