Despite the comparisons being made between next-gen systems, in reality consoles are simply taking innovations previously developed on and led by PC platforms, Alienware general manager Frank Azor told PCGamesN.
According to Azor, this puts PCs as the platform of choice even in an era of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
"A lot of the innovations and things that are proven on the PC are making their ways onto consoles," he said, "The consoles are looking more and more like PCs every day.
"If you look at what Sony and Microsoft are doing, they're taking PCs and putting them into the living room. It's an AMD CPU, it's an AMD graphics card, it's a standard desktop hard drive. It's unbelievable. That tells you that the PC is the gaming platform of choice out there, there is nothing out there that's better. You look at what they're trying to do and they're becoming more and more like PCs."
The influence of PC innovations on consoles is clear, says Azor, particularly in how game installation has evolved on consoles.
"You're installing games now instead of running them off the disc, because that's the right thing to do; you're downloading games digitally, which we've been doing on PC for years; they're integrating certain TV aspects and stuff, well, ten years ago we started experimenting with media center.
"I mean we can tell you how to do that on Alienware with media center PCs during that whole time. It's a little bit different now because the technology has matured considerably, but a lot of the innovations and things that are proven on the PC are making their ways onto consoles and the consoles are looking more and more like PCs every day."
PS4 and Xbox One are slated to launch later this year. PCs are currently available everywhere.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta